Friday, February 22, 2013

the trauma that is... milk?

Okay, so maybe not quite. It wasn't just the milk. (Although one of my most traumatizing memories is of the time when my parents forced me to drink An. Entire. Glass. The tears that ensued...) It was more... the tables of naked women? 

Have you guessed what I'm talking about yet?

A Clockwork Orange, of course!


Looks appealing, right? Erika and I had heard that it was "a classic"- who decides these things, anyway? Is it completely arbitrary?- so we decided to watch it...

"Is this really happening?" was the most frequently question asked. (If any of you have seen it, you probably know what I'm talking about.) From the very beginning (CREEPY STARE- had I ever desired to wear false eyelashes, I most certainly no longer do- he did have pretty blue eyes though. How is that fair?) to the ending (carnage and rape and pillage, oh my!) it was chaotic and confusing...

and also strangely lovely.

Although I might not agree with every(any)thing that happened in it, it was definitely chock-filled to the brim (yay for mixing metaphors) with symbolism and imagery. The director did a wonderful job portraying an corrupt society (although I could have done without the rather phallic art) and the insanity of it all was quite compelling. 

One thing I know for sure: I will never listen to Singin' in the Rain quite the same way. 

Have you seen it? Do you have any movies that you feel this way about?

6 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this movie (I usually never know about classics or mainstream good movies cause I live under a rock with my anime xD) but even the cover for it looks interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...i don't even want to know XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "the adventures of a young man whose principal interests are *rape* and ultra-violence?" did I read that right? I'm somewhat (ok, a lot) traumatized and I haven't even seen it O.O"

      Delete
  3. I was 15 and this was on TV, I got a glimpse.. my mom forbid me of watching it, and of course I got curious and rented it when I had my own apartment (I was of course grown up by then).
    It is horrid, but also very well done and interesting. It also made me think if that sort of treatment for criminals would really work.. (making them really sick what they did ;P)
    x, Lara
    http://rrv12.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
  4. As someone who loves movies, I cannot believe I haven't seen this!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. one word: TRAUMA.
    ....still, no regrets.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They make my day brighter, and I promise to answer every single one :)